Beautiful backyard birds – the American Robin, the Spotted Towhee and the Red-breasted Nuthatch – were the artistic challenge for students in the 18th annual Youth Bird Drawing Contest of Tahoma Audubon Society (TAS).
This year 21 schools from across Pierce County submitted a total of 125 entries to be judged. Entries were due by April 30 and were judged May 4 by Helen Engle, who couldn’t believe it was the 18th contest. Other judges were Dona Townsend, a member of the committee and a watercolor artist, and Judy Best, a TAS member and retired elementary educator with many years of experience with various youth competitions.
Prizes were awarded May 25 in a ceremony at Tacoma Nature Center. Each winner received a gift bag of artist supplies from the Artist and Craftsman Supply Center, a new and very generous business in Tacoma.
Again this year, a free family membership to Tahoma Audubon was part of the prize package. Sally Larson donated the frames for the art work which will be given to the student artists in August.
Tacoma Nature Center displays the winning art all summer. Take time to look at the wonderful images at the Birdathon Celebration in July.
The Thelma Gilmur Education Committee managed the contest this year, and the Youth Bird Drawing Contest subcommittee included Dona Townsend, Judy Best, Ione Clagett, Sally Larson, and Marsha Williams. Margie Shea, our tireless Membership Chair, continued her work with this contest by providing guidance, information, and many hours of email contact with local districts and hands-on help with the judging session. Karen Gillis and Jen Vittitoe helped with framing the art and Karen provided prizes again this year.
The education committee appreciates this TAS team effort to produce another excellent activity that connects children with nature.
Student winners for 2017:
• 1st place Alex Kamala, 2nd grade Evergreen Primary
• 2nd place D’Lorah Brewer, 2nd grade Brouillet Elementary
• 3rd place Ryan Judge, 2nd grade Charles Wright
• Honorable Mention: Elijah Wellman,1st grade Point Defiance
• 1st place Lily Sarroza, 3rd grade Charles Wright
• 2nd place Resse Sabo, 4th grade Charles Wright
• 2nd place Mitchell Smith, 3rd grade Graham Elementary
• 3rd place Caroline Gicewicz, 4th grade Charles Wright
• Hon. Mention: Olivia Bowlden, 3rd grade Charles Wright
• Hon. Mention: Rachel Deoki, 4th grade Charles Wright
• 1st place Anneliese Anderson-Coffee, 5th grade Meeker Elem.
• 2nd place Avery Iverson, 6th grade Jason Lee
• 3rd place Inez McQuarrie, 6th grade Jason Lee
• 3rd place Sully Chipman, 6th grade Jason Lee
• Honorable Mention: Sophie Slaughter, 5th grade Charles Wright
• Honorable Mention: Kawil McHenry, 6th grade Jason Lee
• Honorable Mention: Andrea Luna, 6th grade Drum
• 1st place Noah Braun, 7th grade Homeschool